Published 20 February 2014
‘This is a very practical guide to a teaching approach that enables children to become more powerful learners; it is also an opportunity to spend time with a big-hearted person who understands what happens for children in school and how circles can help them grow.’ – James Park, PROGRESS Director, Human Scale Education (www.progress-hse.org)
‘Grounded in contemporary research, Roffey ignites the reader’s conviction that ‘I can do this too!’ Gifting the educator with a treasure chest of fresh, engaging, practical and applicable ideas, this book makes it possible for every teacher to build both the learning and well-being of all young people.’
– Kerry Bird, Project Manager for Personal and Social Development Education in Catholic Education – Cairns and Brisbane
First published as Circle Time for Emotional Literacy, this new edition has been updated to reflect how the Circle Solutions philosophy and pedagogy can be used to build relationships and resilience for children and young people.
Putting current research on wellbeing into practice, Circle Solutions addresses issues not incidents, solutions rather than problems, and strengths rather than deficits, providing a framework for student engagement and learning.
New to this edition:
- a chapter on promoting the positive: thoughts, feelings and approaches
- more anti-bullying strategies, with cyber-bullying covered explicitly
- a quick reference appendix of games
- ways of embedding Circle Solutions as a tool for wellbeing
- updated and expanded resources.
Activities and games included in the book promote positive communication skills, empathy and connectedness, class cohesion and co-operation, friendship skills and ethical behaviour. The book is suitable for all phases of education.