Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is an Educational Psychologist?

Education Psychologists help children and young people, aged 0 to 25 years of age, who are experiencing problems that hinder their successful learning.

Educational Psychologists undertake a minimum of seven years training, including a first degree in psychology and Doctorate in Educational/ Child Psychology.

Educational Psychologists use their knowledge of psychology, learning and behaviour to support teachers, parents and carers where there are concerns about pupils’ educational progress and/or behaviour in school. Educational Psychologists work in collaboration with teachers and other professionals to help children and young people to achieve their full potential.

2. Why work with an Educational Psychologist?

An Educational Psychologist can provide an holistic view of issues that can affect a child’s learning, including emotional, social, cognitive, behavioural and communication difficulties.

Schools may ask an Educational Psychologist to work with a child/young person because:

  • They are not making expected progress with their learning e.g. literacy and numeracy skills
  • They have difficulty making friends
  • They have difficulty expressing themselves or understanding what is said to them
  • They display/or are displaying difficult and challenging behaviour
  • The child/young person may or may not have a clinical diagnosis e.g. Autism Spectrum Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Dyscalculia, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia etc
  • The child/young person may or may not have been identified as having a Special Educational Need or Disability (SEND)

The views of an educational psychologist are often sought as part of the Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCPs) process. This may include as part of the annual review process.

Schools may also ask an Educational Psychology for specialist staff training, supervision, or staff consultation.

3. Where can you find an Educational Psychologist?

If you are a school, educational setting or parent / carer looking for support from an Educational Psychologist please contact Psychology4Learning.

All our Educational Psychologists are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council, have the appropriate qualifications, Enhanced DBS checks, and private insurance.

If you are a parent / carer, we first advise that the you speak to your child’s school regarding your concerns and ask for their views on employing a private educational psychologist. When we work with parents / carers, we like to undertake the work on school site, and for the EP to speak to the school staff and involve them in the process. Schools are used to working with EPs, and are usually very supportive of this approach.

Each Local Authority also employs Educational Psychologists. These teams mainly undertake statutory work on behalf of the Local Authority i.e. support the Education Health and Care Planning process. These services are free to use, but due to budget constraints there may be a long waiting list, or there may be strict criteria as to who they are able to help. Sometimes we may advise schools or parents that their request should be directed to the Local Authority EPs first, before employing a private Educational Psychologist.

4. How can I train to become an Educational Psychologist?

There is a three year, postgraduate training programme for Educational Psychologists. Details regarding the application process can be found on the Association of Educational Psychologists website.

In 2018 there will be 160 Government funded training places at English Universities. These places are extremely competitive, so before applying ensure you fully research the eligibility criteria and prepare well. Accepting a place on the course is a three year commitment: three years of study followed by two years employment in England.

Once on the three year programme, year 1 is full time study at the University, whereas years 2 and 3 include a placement with a Local Authority Educational Psychology Service whilst also attending lectures.